Friday, January 9, 2009

Small Goals Keep You Motivated

Sure it's great to set a large, ultimate goal, like say Loosing 50 lbs or Fitting into a size 8. But goals like that take time, a lot of time actually. Setting smaller, intermediary goals can help keep you on track, and stave off the "I'm not getting there fast enough" frustration.

One of my goals for this year is to be able to do 10 full pull-ups, with good form. Never mind the fact that I can barely do one, with bad form and a hop to start! I realize I'm not going to see 10 pull-ups for a while, most likely months, so I've broken the goal down a bit. First goal? Be able to do three sets of 8 reps on the Gravitron (I still think that sounds like some futuristic weapon), with the weight stack set to 90. I'm not sure exactly how that translates, except that it makes it much easier. (I'm guessing it's taking 90 lbs of my weight away.) One week into this craziness and I'm almost to goal one! I was able to do *almost* three sets! I did two sets of 8 reps, and one set of 5, all with good form, before my arms gave out. Go me!

I'm taking an unplanned rest day today because of some over scheduling on my part, but I'll be back to it tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze in some Wii Fit today...

How do you break up your goals to make them manageable?
-Meg

No comments:

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now