Thursday, October 15, 2009

Running when I don't want to.

Yesterday was the first day I've been to the gym this week. But I'm not stressing it, Because I didn't want to go, but I did. I didn't want to run, but I did. I didn't want to do strength, but I did.

After a weekend upstate, where scheduling and sickness conspired against me and my running buddy (at least enough to keep us from running!), a weekend filled with tasty home baked goods and many fun times out and about with friends and family, I faced the gym yesterday with something akin to dread.

The conversation in my head went something like this:
"I'm tired, and it's cold outside. I want to stay home. Can't we just stay home?"
"No, we havn't been running all week. We have to go."
"But I'm tired."
"Ok," I said to myself, "We'll go to the gym and just run for a bit. We won't even run very hard. Is that ok?" I reluctantly agreed.

Once I was there, and on the treadmill, I set it to 5.2 without thinking. I didn't give myself a chance to think about it I just ran. True, I stopped at 20 minutes, but I ran.

The stretching mats were full of people so me and the S.O. split up, he headed for the weight machines, while I squeezed myself into a spot that opened up, and did my crunches and stretched for a good long while.

After a while I got bored and wandered over to do my strength routine (Prisoner squats, hammer curl/shoulder press, french press, repeat sets.) When I finished those, my S.O. was in the middle of his ab routine, so, bored, I started adding in more leg work. Apparently boredom at the gym is my friend. I added in knee strikes, chair squats and side squats before deciding I was pushing my luck. I did still need to walk home.

My body is sore and tired today. And I'm happy about it. I've also decided that I'm happier when I'm doing a training "plan" than just winging it, so I'm going to try and work out a plan that works for me. I'm thinking of doing the 100 push up challenge, the 200 sit up challenge, and the C25K all at the same time. It's a bit ambitious of a plan, so we'll see if I actually do it.

2 comments:

Cheryl Chamberlain said...

kudos for making yourself go! i think we put too much into how we feel BEFORE going to the gym than we do focusing and KNOWING we'll feel better AFTER the gym.. lol

have a great weekend! great jon!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I think we all have those inner struggles with ourselves.

It could be fun to do all three challenges at the same time- sometimes I like doing that because then I'm even MORE motivated to continue.

- Sagan

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now