Friday, June 5, 2009

The Running is Tough Going.

Yesterday was another one of those workouts where I just have to push myself through it, and remember that just getting on the treadmill is better than nothing. After two days of actually pushing myself, and running further and longer, yesterday it was all I could do to keep myself running for 25 minutes. I ran at a slower than normal pace, 5.2 mph instead of 5.5. I had new music on my ipod and, weirdly, the TV was on without my headphones being plugged in, so I had some random news show to watch. Neither of these seemed to be able to keep my mind off my tired legs.

I started the day at the gym with easy intervals on the elliptical machine. I didn't push the "hard" intervals into the H.I.I.T. zone, since I knew I was going to be running later. I kept the resistance levels at 5 on the low end and 10 on the high end. Not too strenuous a workout, but enough to get my heart rate up. I stretched for a bit before my S.O. showed up, then we hit the treadmills.

I could tell right away that I wasn't going to be able to push myself too hard. My legs were stiff to start, and my knees complaining. Once the stiffness worked out my knees shut up, but then my calves spoke up. For the rest of the run my calves complained. I also felt absurdly tired, and like I was running through mud. It felt like so much more work than normal.

I'm hoping that today's run will be easier, although I am proud of myself for sticking with it and running the 25 minutes.

What do you do when your normal workout just feels too hard? Do you push through it or Compromise with yourself to just do *enough* to count?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually do a different workout. I'll start with my usual one but if I'm just not feeling it, then I'll try something new. Sometimes getting away from the usual for just a couple days helps with getting back into it more enthusiastically afterward.

- Sagan

Crabby McSlacker said...

For me, I have to go more by "perceived" effort than miles per hour or whatever. I figure if I'm miserable and struggling to finish, that's certainly good enough!

If I tried to make myself to the "optimal" amount every time, even when my body was saying no way, I'd soon start avoiding workouts all together.

Good for you for getting through a tough workout day!

carla said...

I just do enough to perk myself up and make me feel "better"

Im not one to force myself to workout HARD or LONG or even AS PLANNED if Im just not feeling it.

Miz.

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now