Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Weddings mean dresses, and dresses mean I must run.

I haven't been sleeping well lately. Between a bout of seasonal allergies (which I apparently developed in the last two years) and random emotional situations, my average bed time has been 2am so far this week. Last week I was hitting bedtime at 1am due to a deadline for some work I'm doing. I guess technically that's close to 7 hours a night, but I feel completely drained.

This weekend I am attending my cousins wedding, which, as the invitation states, is "black tie optional"...so dresses are mandatory. I do not own many dresses, and none that fit/are fancy enough for "black tie optional." So yesterday I did something that most women profess to love, which is to me an exercise is pain, frustration, and humiliation. I went dress shopping.

This was the preamble for my going to the gym yesterday. I was tired, nay exhausted, a touch stressed, and very not in love with my body.

I ran, even though I felt like a lumbering behemoth. I ran, even though I was sure my running shirt was too tight and was showing the world every bulge I try to hide. I ran, even though every minute I wanted to get off the treadmill and go home. I didn't run particularly fast, or for an amazing amount of time or distance. I ran at a steady 5.2 mph for 20 minutes. (With a five minute warm up and five minute cool down that don't count because I wasn't running.)

I wussed out on the strength portion of my work out, I did ab work but nothing else. I was just too tired. But I ran. I ran yesterday and I'm planning on running today (I do have to wear that dress Saturday after all.)

I may not be completely back on track with this whole fitness thing, but I ran. And I'm holding on to that.

2 comments:

Cheryl Chamberlain said...

the good news is you did SOMETHING! it's better to do something than nothing at all. you may have not done your whole routine, but the fact that you did what you could is accomplishment enough.

hope you find a fabulous dress!!

Anonymous said...

That's good that you stuck with it!

Hope you're feeling better and get some good rest.

- Sagan

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now