Monday, January 11, 2010

Breakfast Troubles

I am not a morning person. It is always a struggle for me to get myself out of bed, no matter how much sleep I've had or what time I went to bed. The first thing I need, to get me functional and working, is a cup or two of coffee. The last thing I want in the morning is food.

Strangely, when I wake up I am very not hungry. In fact, the idea of eating food first thing in the morning makes me a tad nauseous. I can usually force myself to eat a bowl of oatmeal or some cereal, but usually not until I've been up for a good hour.

I never used to think this was a problem. If I got up at 7, breakfast was usually around 9:30 or 10:00. Still plenty early to be called breakfast. But I don't get up at 7 anymore. With a flexible schedule my morning routine has shifted, and I wake up at 9. Breakfast? More like an early lunch.

With all the research out there saying how important breakfast is for weight loss, and a new study saying eating earlier is better, what am I to do? Am I doomed to a choice between sluggish weight loss and choking down food I'm not enjoying?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same issue. some days it's easier than others, and the more I eat early, the easier it is to do.

Sometimes it's just a single egg. Sometimes a protein bar. I can always tell the difference on the scale when I've been skipping a morning meal.

Unknown said...

you don't have to eat alot of food to get the positive effects. i was told that protein in the morning is good, as it stays with you longer, so you aren't as hungry later in the day.

some things i like are cottage cheese, and my recent discovery, plain greek yogurt. it's low-fat, and packed with protein, like 23 grams! add in a few fresh raspberries or other fruit, and it's great. maybe some granola.

so, maybe you can find something that you can eat a little of, and get the benefits. i think waiting an hour to eat is pretty normal, and counts as "breakfast" no matter what time it is.

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings about this. I've always been a BIG advocate of eating breakfast- even if it's just half an apple with a smear of nut butter- but the boyfriend never eats first thing in the morning. Interestingly enough, he's energetic, in really good shape, and is all around a fairly healthy person. Perhaps it IS the case of what works for one person doesn't work for another?

That being said, I still say that having even a few carrots or a glass of milk in the morning can be a good start to the day.

Meg said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate the input!

For now I'm going to try something smaller, like an apple or a handful of nuts. Although that greek yogurt has me intrigued ^_^

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now