Monday, February 23, 2009

A few new toys and a DVD review!

Well I didn't make it a whole week. Unfortunately this weekends plans were enough to derail my fitness goals, and set me back to starting the weekly count over. I did manage to get myself some Gold Stars for most of the week, so I'm going to go ahead and buy myself a pair of those nice fold over Yoga pants from Old Navy. This weeks "prize" for myself remains that hot gym bag I'm lusting after, with the runner up "prize" to be determined later.

I got a few things that I had ordered from Amazon in the mail this weekend. A Hamilton Beach individual sized blender and the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video.

The blender makes awesome smoothies, is nice and quiet, and is compact enough not to be an issue in this space starved NYC apartment. I'm going to put it through it's paces a few more times before I put my final stamp of approval on it, but so far it's a good, cheep addition to my weight loss arsenal.

I havn't had a chance to try the DVD yet, but I've heard good things. Mainly that it's actually a pretty intense workout. I was sold on the idea that the DVD contained three workouts, which progress in intensity. Once I've gotten a chance to try it, I'll write up a solid review of the DVD.

Which brings me to my first ever actual DVD review!
A while back over at Fit Bottomed Girls they reviewed the AM & PM Yoga for beginners DVD by
Element.

After reading their review, I decided to use this DVD to accomplish my New Years Resolution of adding Yoga back into my fitness routine. I was a little cautious, as I've never been very good at Yoga, or keeping up a Yoga practice. As soon as I put the DVD in I began to feel a little better, as the instructor, Elena Brower, introduced the program and explained the purpose of the different segments.

The AM section does exactly what it claims, incorporating movement between various poses to add a small bit of aerobic exercise in. By the end of the AM section I felt charged and fully awake. I have not used the PM section yet, since I almost never have time for Yoga before Bed, however having watch the sequence, I am confident that the PM section is just as high quality as the AM section.

I would recommend this DVD to anyone looking to add Yoga into their fitness routine.

What new weapons have you incorporated into your fitness arsenal lately?
-Meg

3 comments:

Every Gym's Nightmare said...

hmm i dont think ive added anything new- except im more focused on what i am working- since im trying to work through an injury. stronger upper back, here i come!

Kelly Turner
www.everygymsnightmare.com

Anonymous said...

I love the 30 day shred. The yoga dvd sounds like good stuff! As does the blender, mmm.

My newest toy is 10 lbs dumbbells rather than my regular 8 lbs. Adding those extra couple lbs makes a BIG difference.

The other thing I've added is taking aikido classes... my new love :)

- Sagan

Meg said...

Kelly - Ow! Back stuff is no fun. I think I'm going to steal some of your exercises though, I could use a stronger upper back myself!

Sagan - Wooo! Go you! I've been trying to find a good Aikido dojo in Brooklyn that's not horribly expensive for a while now. I'm thinking about broadening my search to include other disciplines, but I'd REALLY like to try Aikido! You're makin me jealous!

Tracking Transformation: Where I stand now